Create a warm, welcoming and whimsical living space with these summery design ideas. Using bold pops of color that pay tribute to multicolored floral-inspired bursts or neutral accents that bring an open and airy seaside feel, you can achieve the perfect summertime space inside your home or in any outdoor space. Here are some savvy, summer-inspired design to tips to start with:
1. Neutralize your space. Starting with a blank canvas, meaning decorating with earthy and sandy color tones, sets the stage for clean, smart decorating. Summer design is all about the crisp, cool and fresh, and it draws heavily from summer traditions. Think of your seasonal décor as you would of your wardrobe. White upholstery is A-OK after Memorial Day, and throughout the year, if you want to bring a permanent freshness and openness to your living space. After all, trailblazers love to break the fashion (and interior décor) rules — so go ahead and push some boundaries.
2. Color your world. Warm-weather home décor should be inspired by nature. Draw inspiration from your favorite blooms and blossoms from the garden — daisies, dahlias, garden roses and peonies — and throw in a few splashes of greenery to honor the season’s most beloved herbs. Vintage home décor can be colored for the season with sunshine, plum, orange, teal and other mod colors, while more down-to-earth color schemes will benefit from a rich gray or deep purple. Be sure to add color in unexpected places, like on the ceiling or in the fireplace.
3. Play with prints and patterns. You can also use the outdoors to inspire your selection of trendsetting prints and patterns. Bold, floral prints and nautical stripes are wonderful for any enchanting summertime oasis. Enhance your room for the season by choosing transient, nonpermanent home décor add-ons — like throw pillows, curtains, rugs and home accents — in vibrant, floral or geometric prints. If you’re aiming for a nautical or beach-inspired living space, be sure to sprinkle in a few oceanic patterns, like abstract wave prints or beachy landscapes.
4. Bring in the beach. There is nothing that signifies summer quite like days spent spread out on a blanket at the beach. To emulate this relaxing atmosphere indoors, decorate with coastal home décor items, such as beach-themed wall hangings or apothecary jars filled with seashells or sand. It may sound kitschy, but it’s one of the best ways to turn an uninspired room into a space that speaks to your inner sun-lover. You can also go nautical with anchors, ship’s wheels and other marine must-haves. Plus, this is a versatile route to take. In the wintertime, you can swap out your hangings and jar-fillers for seasonally appropriate options.
5. Optimize your outdoor space. Be sure to take full advantage of the warm weather months with a well-equipped outdoor space. Choose patio furniture that’s going to inspire comfortable, enjoyable outdoor living and pieces that match your home’s theme. Iron garden art and outdoor lighting helps turn your green space into the welcoming, whimsical garden of your dreams. Be sure to choose outdoor upholstery and patio pillows that are colorful, vibrant and sweet enough for the best season.